Saturday, June 7, 2008

"There's no place like home"

Dorothy said it best.

This Thursday I was able to convince my doc (she is a pushover) of my need for another outing. I had dinner at home with my family. It was wonderful. Sara made one of my favorites, shrimp linguine. Madison has taken on the role of gardener this year and I had some garden ripened tomatoes too. They were delicious. Jessie's fabulous cinnamon and caramel rolls were dessert. I went to Jackson's baseball game that night. It was fun to watch them play and see family and friends. The boys did not play their best and finished second. They had a good season though.

Life in rehab has its ups and downs. I am grateful to go home in less than 2 weeks. I see people here in rehab that have been here 5 months. I could not do that. On a high note I am able to walk with a stick (some call it a cane) and was able to pedal an exercise bike. The stiffness and pain in my right knee had prevented this until Thursday.

I can't wait to be home. After my visit home Jake told Sara the next day that "I want Dad to live with us again." Those things make it easy to work hard in recovery.

Thanks for all your prayers, visits and comments on the blog.

More later

Shane

13 comments:

Taryn said...

Another wonderful excursion! Hopefully you will get to do a few more of those before they finally release you for good!

It is a good thing you are learning to ride a bike again...if gas keeps going up you may need to park the truck and start biking instead...keep practicing!

You are an awesome family, it is great to see you all pulling together to overcome this adversity in your lives. Take care, prayers are never ceasing!

Taryn

Anonymous said...

We are so excited that you got to see Jackson's games and be together with your family, even for a little while. What you might consider a small feat, we see as a much bigger accomplishment - keep it up! Love and miss you all!

Heather

Kim A said...

Hi Shane, it's the Adams'! Aaron wanted me to tell you hi....we're so excited for you to get to come home soon and "live" with them again. We've been praying for you and your family, so we love to hear about all your miraculous recoveries! Hang in there, you'll be home soon :D

Jill said...

It'll be good to have you back in the neighborhood! So glad to hear the great updates.

Maybe you could have a blog contest to name your cane? My grandma calls hers "Abel". :)

Hang in there!

Love the Stoddards

Brake Family said...

Thank you for your comments today. I needed the reminder that the true definition of heaven is a home and a family that works, plays, loves, cries and serves each other. Always.

julie williams said...

Good news!! We can't wait to get you home either...we aren't very good at getting out to Scottsdale. keep up the good work and I promise some chocolate chip cookies are coming!!!

tamra said...

So glad to hear the folks at rehab continue to be flexible! Keep up the hard work! I'll see you all on June 26th, I'm coming in town for business and I'm staying with Amy. I can't wait to see you guys!
Love,
Tamra

Unknown said...

Shane and Family: I love the new picture!! So good to see you at home - you look great! I hope you had a fantastic Father's Day.

Sonja

tamra said...

The new photo is GREAT! Fun to see you all at home together! Keep up the amazing progress and have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Shane,
It's Lance Nehls in Tucson. I'm so happy to hear everythings going better!! I saw your mom and dad at the mesa airport yesterday 6/15. Hang in there Shane.
Lance

Anonymous said...

Loved the new photo! So glad to hear of your progress. Hopefully it won't be too long until you're home again. Sending our love.....Uncle Reed & Aunt Barbara

Unknown said...

Dear Shane and Sara:
What a beautiful family picture! It is good to see you home, and I pray that you continue to recover and return home for good. Thank you for sharing your touching story.

I found a beautiful picture of the two of you at Kristina's wedding. I will mail it to you soon. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love,
Haydee

Anonymous said...

Shane, Sara, & family,
You have been in our thoughts and prayers each day. Glad to hear you are following in President Hinckley's "cane steps," Shane!
You look great, especially with your beautiful family!
Love & prayers,
Sherman & Laura Bledsoe